Meteen naar de inhoud

Applying for an A1-declaration in the Netherlands

Who pays the bill when applying for an A1 declaration in the netherlands?

If your employee works in 2 or more countries, it is necessary to establish in which of these countries he or she is socially insured (read more about the main rules of social security when working across borders). For payroll purposes, you also need to provide substantiation in some cases in the form of an A1 declaration (also called certificate of coverage). This can be requested from the competent authority in the country where the employee is insured. For example, in the Netherlands this can be done at the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) and in Belgium at the Rijksdienst Sociale Zekerheid (RSZ).

As not only employees but also their employers have an interest in this document, many employers have an A1 certificate applied for by a service provider, who charges for it. Recently, the Dutch Tax Authorities ruled that in some cases this results in a private benefit for the employee, on which tax is due.

The Dutch Tax Administration’s position is as follows:

> The cost of applying for an A1 certificate and also its extension in the case of temporary secondment does not constitute wages for the employee concerned. This is because, in the case of secondment, it is up to the employer to set up its payroll correctly.

> However, the cost of an A1 certificate in the case of working in 2 or more countries is considered wages, as soon as an external adviser (such as Interfisc, for example) applies for the A1 certificate on behalf of the employee. The employee has the obligation to inform the SVB and by outsourcing this, the employee has a private benefit. Therefore, if the application for an A1 statement goes through Interfisc, the invoice value of the application is either

  • taxed wages or 
  • costs to be placed in the “free budget” 

> How this private benefit must be processed in the payroll administration is laid down in the Work-related Costs Regulations (WKR).

> The application for a work permit is not regarded as taxed wages.

> In case of a combined application for a residence permit and a work permit, the part relating to the residence permit is taxed as wages. You can also include this part in your free budget. The fees paid by the employer to the IND are also considered taxed wages.


If you want to know more about applying for an A1 certificate and whether it is necessary and/or taxable in your situation, contact us! Click on the contact form.

Follow one of our training courses or webinars!

Our specialists will take you into our exciting world of cross-border work.

Together, solution-oriented and caring

Since 1972, Interfisc has offered international HR & Payroll solutions in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Italy. We do this from our offices in the Netherlands and Belgium, and with an international team of around 45 committed and caring employees. 

Keep up to date on the latest news!

Sign up for our newsletter and receive the latest information on employer obligations in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany,  France, Italy and the United Kingdom.

Need to know more?

Questions about what needs to be done?
Our customer support team is at your service, you can reach us by phone or via the contact form.

Not found what you were looking for?

In the world of international employment, every situation is unique.
If our website does not provide the answers, please do not hesitate to contact us, together we can work out the best solution (to your needs).

Contact form

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Stay up to date on employer obligations in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, the United Kingdom and Italy.